Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Animals with personalities I wouldn't tolerate in humans

I know some people prefer dogs because of their loyalty and unabashed affection, and that's nice and all, but I prefer my animals to treat me worse than my human friends. To expect affection and then be withholding or abusive. To whine and whine for no reason. To barge in on me wanting whatever it is they want when they want it. To expect the world and give nothing but their presence in return.

In this movie called Playing by Heart, Angelina Jolie's character explains that cats are great because they are so feline, that "[Cats] can look at you with a gaze of unflappable superiority that seems to spring from near total detachment and disinterest." (not unlike the cat in that picture). And it's not just cats! I love pigeons who walk right up to you expecting a handout, or seagulls who don't even bother asking and just take it. Or goats that eat your clothes while you're trying to feed them real food. They're fantastic!

There is something to be said for old, quiet dogs that follow you without fail and lay at your feet in the grass elated when you pet them. But for now I'll take the scratches.

No comments:

Post a Comment