Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Spanish Girl of Segovia, 1918

This is my favorite painting. Spanish Girl of Segovia is by Robert Henri (25 June 1865 – 12 July 1929), an American painter and teacher. He was a leading figure of the Ashcan School, a realist artistic movement that came into prominence in the United States during the early twentieth century, best known for works portraying scenes of daily life in New York's poorer neighborhoods. Henri specialized in portraits (my favorite!). The movement grew out of a group known as The Eight, whose only show together in 1908 created a sensation. Aside from Henri, its members included William Glackens (1870-1938), George Luks (1867-1933), Everett Shinn (1876-1953), John French Sloan (1871-1951), Arthur B. Davies (1862-1928), Ernest Lawson (1873-1939), and Maurice Prendergast (1859-1924).

It might seem a bit odd that my favorite painter was a realist considering my favorite illustrator specialized in whimsical works based on fairy stories. But when I first saw Spanish Girl of Segovia at the Milwaukee Art Museum years ago I was captivated. Henri may have painted the anonymous working class but he gave them dignity. They are real, but romantic. And I love that unlike other techniques used by realist painters, Henri didn't try to paint photographs. What I mean by this is that his brushstrokes are broad and he uses dark tones--like Manet (but I prefer Henri)--and isn't hung up on creating an exact replica of her face. I like when you can see the actual brushstrokes! How up close they look like smudges but when you back up you see that they are intuitive smudges that come together to form a portrait. It should be noted that I do not consider impressionism or pointillism intuitive. They are too calculated for my taste.

And on top of everything Henri was a meticulous record keeper! He kept books in which he numbered all of his paintings and listed the exhibitions at which they were shown. This painting is number 87H. As an archivist I could just kiss him!

No comments:

Post a Comment