Friday, February 17, 2012

Edwardian Lawn Dresses

"I consider lace to be one of the prettiest imitations ever made of the fantasy of nature; lace always evokes for me those incomparable designs which the branches and leaves of trees embroider across the sky, and I do not think that any invention of the human spirit could have a more graceful or precise origin." --Coco Chanel, April 29, 1939


I have been obsessed with these dressed for a long time now. They epitomize femininity. There really is nothing so delicate and serene as Edwardian lawn (or tea) dresses. And I love that they're called that! The name completes the picture. I want to be walking across a green summer lawn to a shaded table sweetly laid with tea and scones, and a gaggle of dear friends while our men (equally in white) play tennis nearby. I would have a name like Lucy Honeychurch or Anne Shirley and we'd whisper together about risqué topics while our prudish mothers looked on from the wrap-around porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment