Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Hudson's Bay Point Blanket


So I spent two years in Canada while I was getting my masters and to me there is nothing more iconically Canadian (except perhaps the maple leaf) than the Hudson's Bay Company Point Blanket. I never did own one but it is a life goal (they are three-hundred some dollars).

I love icons, or things that I can buy that symbolize an experience. In my opinions these are the best kinds of souvenirs--like another favorite Canadian (or rather Québécois) icon of mine, the ceinture fléchée or arrow sash. It kind of just screams Quebec.

Apparently textiles are sort of my thing.

I recently bought a scarf from HBC in the style of their woolen Point Blanket (they have loads of stuff with the same design) and I completely adore it! These aren't even my colors and there's loads of cream, which I typically loathe. But you can't mess with something that has been popular since 1780 (when they were used in the fur trade).

Just looking at this thing makes me want snow, a cabin, a fire, a hot guy, and this blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment