Monday, February 13, 2012

Pie

Growing up, pie was my least favorite desert. Probably because my dad, who suffers from adult picky eater disorder, always liked my genius of a baker mother to just make pies with store bought filling (the horror!). But then a few years ago someone gave her a pie recipe book and I flipped through it over Christmas. For some reason I thought it would be cool to make a different pie every week for a year. So I did. Yeah, I'm that cool. Thankfully at the time I had five roommates (half of which were boys) so I didn't gain any extra weight that year. But it was super fun experimenting with weird ingredients and learning about thickening agents and perfect crusts. I have so many lovely memories of pie making now--like collecting salmonberries in an old growth forest in Vancouver with good friend, experimenting with pineapple pie filling on a date, or surprising a loved one with a cup pie to take for lunch.

During that times pies suddenly became super popular. Not unlike cupcakes and woopie pies (totally overrated in my opinion). One of my all-time favorite shows was on the air--Pushing Daisies was about a really hot pie-maker. And then the charming movie, Waitress, came out. And I was even more inspired. 

Here are some of my favorites:

No comments:

Post a Comment