Friday, September 16, 2011

Mariachi

I've heard mariachi music here and there my whole life, but I had never actually seen a mariachi band preform live until 2010. I was awestruck. 

I used to go to rock concerts all the time but since college I've lost interest. I don't care for the noise level or being squashed in a crowd. But when I went to the Museum of Northern Arizona's Celebraciónes de la Gente and saw Mariachi Sol Azteca preform I couldn't move from my seat. Mariachi is epic. It is brimming with life and love. Plus, the whole matching charro outfit thing is just cinematic. The musicians make me feel like the world is a bit more interesting and romantic than I sometimes suppose it to be; like every wayward glance that falls upon a strange man is weighted with future assignations, heroic deeds, and love everlasting.

I want to marry a Mexicano (for authenticity) just so we can have a mariachi band at our wedding. And I loathe weddings! I think I just want to plop into the experience of being Mexican in Mexico and being the bride at a rapturous traditional wedding with colorful paper garland, el lazo around mine and my husband's necks, thirteen gold coins in my pocket, and dancing to mariachi.

No comments:

Post a Comment