Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Names

Elysia Eugenie Helem ;)
I liked Sadie before it was cool. 

One of my favorite things to do is name things. And if there's nothing to name I like to just think about names. Especially if they're alliterative and/or start with a B. I used to be all for making names up until that became just a little too ghetto. Not even ghetto as much as just... meaningless. I know that's obvious but there really is something kind of meaningless in made up names. Especially if they've got that whole faux Italian thing going on and start and/or end with an A. I'm way over that. I love European names (Western & Eastern) and love love them when they come with a story. 

A few of my cats over the years have been: Freya (Norwegian goddess associated with love, beauty, fertility, gold, war, and death), Sveva (no ones knows what it means but it reminds me of one of my favorite books "I Dreamed of Africa"), Zipporah (Moses' wife), and Solveig (I pronounce it Sol-vee instead of the correct Sool-vi).

I cannot wait to have children and name them. In fact, I think I want to name children more than I actually want to have them. My husband will have absolutely no say in the matter unless he has an awesome family name somewhere in his ancestry that will suffice. The danger is shortened versions. I love Briseis, for example, but loathe Bree.

Here are some current favorites:

  • Peregrine (for a girl)
  • Ondine (German myth)
  • Edit (Ee-dit, Norwegian)
  • Holiday (middle)
  • Lumen (for a girl)
  • Ebury
  • Story (yes, I actually liked Lady in the Water)
  • Barbury (middle)
  • Baring (middle)
  • Bray (middle)
  • Briseis (Bri-say-es, Greek myth)
  • Kaia (ancestor's name)
  • Ivadel (ancestor's name, middle)
  • Cressida
  • Axtel (family name, middle)
  • Wise (family name, middle)
  • Briony (reminds me of the sea)
  • Elysium (Elys for short, Greek myth)
  • Beaudet (makes me think of Baudelaire or Lemony Snicket for some reason)
  • Nova
  • Eisa (a Norwegian myth or the Quaranic name for Jesus)
  • Beyla (another Norwegian myth but it reminds me of Nadia Comaneci's trainer)
  • Eitri (another Norwegian myth, I like how it's starts like my name)
  • Embla (another Norwegian myth)
  • Hero (Much Ado About Nothing! She shouldn't have taken Claudio back)
  • Shoshana (I wish I could say I loved this before Inglorious Basterds)
  • Havalah (my deceased sister's name. I, like my mom, love the shortened Hava)
  • Arietty (From The Borrowers! Not the new movie Arietty, which will likely ruin the name for me.)
  • Wilder (as in Almonzo)
  • Aeronwy (Dylan Thomas' daughter's name, love it except for the inevitable shortening to Erin)
  • Bastian (my son WILL be named this no matter what, after the kid in The Neverending Story, the Bastian of the movie, not the book. He was weird in the book)
  • Fable 
  • Arrow
  • Brightly
  • Gemma

No comments:

Post a Comment